About Highlands Family Farm
We have a core set of ideals for our farm. First, while on our farm, animals must be treated humanely; the more you stress them the less they will grow. Second, we never use any growth hormones. We feel the benefits don’t out-weigh the side effects. Third, we fertilize with manure to limit the amount of chemicals our animals are exposed to. Fourth, our animals, with the exception of poultry, stay on pasture. The poultry need to stay in a clean, dry, heated environment until they are feathered, then they go out on pasture until ready to process. Fifth, when it is time for the animal to be processed, we want it done humanely. Our animals are processed in facilities inspected by the United States department of Agriculture ensuring animals are humanely dispatched and the meat is safe to eat.
Grass-fed meat isn’t a luxury item – it’s real meat. Factory meat has the wrong fatty acids, contains obesity-causing hormones, and usually has mycotoxins (biotoxins formed by mold in cattle food and meat processing). Grass-fed meat is in a league of its own. Give ours a taste, and you won’t go back to buying your meat from your grocery store. Our meat comes from our family farm, where all our animals graze in pastures. Happy, healthy animals make better meat. We know you’ll be able to taste the difference.
- 2019 - Homers Soda Shop serves our meat Morganton NC
- 2018 - Food Matters Market & Café- Brevard store carries our meat
- 2017 - Gypsy Queen Cuisine serves our meat Asheville, NC
- 2016 - Food Matters Market & Café- Hickory and Morganton stores begin carrying our meat
- 2015 - Wall & Mercer families join together - We add turkeys
- 2014 - We added chicken & lamb
- 2012 - Wall family aquires 75+ acres in Connelly Springs, NC
- 2011 - Mercer family begins buying beef & pork from Wall family
- 2010 - Wall & Mercer families meet
- 2001 - Wall family share land with family to continue to raise animals